Thinking about emergencies is no fun, but sometimes the best memories are made when you're unplugged. Whether your dinner by the light of a LuminAID is planned or unplanned, sharing a meal brings people together.
While you can't plan for power outages, you can do your best to be prepared. We're working to help all families get prepared for emergencies, and sending lights to our nonprofit partners working in disaster relief while we're at it.
When you post a photo on Instagram using the hashtag #DinnerbyLuminAID, we'll donate a solar lantern to one of our nonprofit partners in disaster relief, who are currently responding to Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas. Access to light is one of the most immediate needs in any emergency situation, and we have several partners on the ground in the Bahamas.
If you’re not sure how to get involved, or even what to post, read on to learn how easy having a #DinnerbyLuminAID can be!
1. Repurpose your family dinner:
Pick a night to throw your LuminAID on and have a dinner in the dark. Snap a pic and post it with our hashtag; it's as easy as that! Kids are guaranteed to have fun with it.
2. Grill outside while the weather is still good:
Do you already feel the autumn air creeping in? Make the most of the warm nights while you can, and have one final outdoor barbecue or picnic. Use your LuminAID to light up your meal!
3. Use our pre-written captions:
Don’t know what to say? We’ve made it as easy as copying and pasting with some premade captions just for you:
4. Light up dinner when you're off the grid:
Riding out a blackout? Off the grid for the weekend? Snap a pic and share it with the hashtag, and we will donate a light on your behalf.
Still need some inspiration? Check out the #DinnerbyLuminAID feed below to see what other people are up to!
5. Spread awareness while emergency prepping:Do you pride yourself on being well-prepared for any natural disaster? September is National Emergency Preparedness Month, so snap a pic of your emergency kit or go bag and tag it with #DinnerbyLuminAID. Other people may learn a thing or two from you!